Before the long winter begins, it’s a wise idea to take a good look at your roof. As your first line of defense against the weather, keeping it in proper condition means the safety of your family and the rest of your house. If you’ve been experiencing problems like leaking, it may be time for an inspection.
Knowing what to look for can help you take the right course of action before any serious issues occur. Roofers in Ottawa like Century Roofing & Siding can offer you some advice. Below are some of the factors you should look out for along with ways of handling them:
- Check the flashings. These are metal pieces on the roof that cover interruptions on the roof’s surface, such as the chimneys and vent pipes. When these deteriorate, melted snow can enter the interiors and cause damage.
- Check for excess granule loss. Granule loss could be due to the normal aging of your shingles. However, when a shingled roof is starting to approach the end of its life, it may be washing off too many granules. This could be an indication that it’s time for replacement.
- If you’re using wooden shakes or shingles for your roof, rotting or warping could be an issue. Rotted roof components can’t be repaired anymore. If a large area of the roof is already rotting, have it replaced.
- If you’re using a metal roof, large leaks or excessive rust could indicate a need for replacement. Over time, metal can start to break down. If your roof is starting to show signs of deterioration, such as rust or leaks, this means you need a new roof.
- Slate or clay tile roofs may require careful maintenance to keep them in good condition. These types of materials are most likely to deteriorate due to frost damage. Because of the breakdown of the fastening system, a clay tile roof often starts to fall apart. Aside from this, look for leaking or for broken or missing tiles.
If you’re still having some difficulty with inspection or if you need help with repairs or replacement, Ottawa roofing companies like Century Roofing & Siding can be of assistance. We are a licensed and insured roofing contractor that can help you out with roof replacement or repairs. If you have any queries about inspections or roofing services, feel free to contact us today.